Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My First Day

Welcome to Georgia Southern University or as we like to call it "Southern". This is my first year at Georgia Southern and my second semester. Prior to this semester I was a chemistry major, but I switched to Early Childhood Education last November. So far I really like it, but getting used to so many projects and attendance policies is difficult. I understand that as a professional being late or missing class is unacceptable. I also understand the education department’s reason for implementing an attendance policy to “prepare us for the real world of teaching”. There aren’t many other professions I know of besides teaching where the same rules on attendance don’t apply. Yet as a student those other majors are not penalizing for missing a day! Honestly, the notion that missing a day of class potentially lowers your final average 2-4 points is insane! Sorry I went off on a tangent there, that is really my only issue with the TEP at GSU. Once you go into that school all those petty issues mean nothing. Those children take your heart immediately. Yesterday I went to my first day "in the field" at Guyton Elementary in south Effingham County. I'm in Mrs. Morgan's 2nd grade classroom and I love it! The teacher is stern, but not overbearing. The children are wonderful; I almost think "this can't be real". They stay on task without almost and disciplinary problems. They are inquisitive and always ready to answer. But, the second the kids get a "free" moment I see that this is real. The kids opened up and tell us their entire lives! Within 5 minutes of bathroom time I know the entire schedule as well as the disciplinary policy. I know who does there work, and who doesn’t. The funniest thing they do to me is one up each other. I know a lot of people in the adult world do this too, but it’s so much funnier to see it through their eyes. One person will start off by telling me they have a dog. The next student to come up has a bigger dog, and then the next has a dog and a cat. It keeps going and going until one person decides they’ve lost so they change the subject. It’s hilarious to hear! I have to turn my head or walk away a lot so I don’t encourage their bad, but often very funny, behaviors. It's only been one day but I know I am going to be really happy there!

7 comments:

  1. It's great that you are loving your school. I have obersved a 2nd grade classroom in previous years and I loved it! I think that 2nd grade will continue to grow on you and you will love it even more. I know I did! I found myself laughing at the silly 2nd graders as well. I was like you and had to walk away so that I wouldn't get scolded for encouraging them. I hope everything continues to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Second grade simply has my heart and I hope to teach it one day! Im glad to hear that you love it too! I think its just the right age for me, not too young & not too old! I am in a third grade classroom, and its different to say the least, they seem much more mature than second grade. But its still wonderful! Glad you switched from chemisty to Early Childhood! Hope you continue to have a wonderful semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you're enjoying your field experience so much. I haven't been with second graders yet, but I'm sure it's a fun grade. During my PPB, I was with first graders and they are funny/cute little quirks about them also that would send me laughing. The attendance policies do stink, I completely agree with you. I think that they should at least accept doctor notes as excused absences. Oh well. Good luck during the rest of your field study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! I can't believe you were a Chemistry major. That must have been so hard. I am so glad you have found something you like to do like teaching. That is so funny about the students trying to out do the other in front of you. So typical of children, I guess that's why we love them. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh! I loved reading your first blog! I cannot believe that this is your first year at Southern. I too loved the way the children opened up to me and am loving my field placements. 2nd grade also holds a special place in my heart and I hope to one day teach 2nd or 3rd grade! I hope you have a wonderful semester, filled with cute stories from children and smiling faces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your having a great time. It's so funny how children say the darnest things sometimes. For example how they were talking about a dog, a bigger dog, and lead the conversation to other pets. I remember my PPB experience and I absolutely loved it. Moving from Colorado to here has truly enhanced my belief on teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy you are enjoying your field experience so much! I haven't been able to observe a 2nd grade classroom yet but I would love to! I love how open the students are! They will say almost anything that they are thinking and I love that about children! I don't think there will be a boring day as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete